While they’re not the main event, side dishes are a crucial part of Thanksgiving dinner. Some may even say they look forward to side dishes more than the turkey! Rich stuffing with creamy gravy and sweet cranberry sauce are definitely staples, but there are other options that are equally delicious and more health-conscious for seniors at your Thanksgiving table. If you want a healthy side dish that will wow your guests, look no further than our za’atar roasted carrots and green beans! This recipe provided by our senior dining services team in Whippany, NJ, is also great to serve during the holidays, like Rosh Hashanah or Hanukkah (which just so happens to be right around the corner).
Ingredients for Za’atar Carrots and Green Beans:
- Carrots (approx. 1 pound)
- Green beans (approx. 1 pound)
- Olive oil (¼ cup)
- Za’atar (2 tablespoons)
- Kosher salt (1 teaspoon)
- Pepper (½ teaspoon)
- Chopped parsley (optional garnish)
Directions for Za’atar Carrots and Green Beans:
- Rinse off your carrots, peel and slice them into thin, vertical strips.
- Next, rinse and trim your green beans.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and have two large baking pans or sheets ready to roll!
- Grab two large bowls, adding the carrots to one and the green beans to the other.
- Drizzle each bowl with half of the seasonings it calls for, i.e. 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of za’atar, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper to each bowl. Side note: we have used Morton’s za’atar seasoning for this recipe, but please feel free to experiment and make your own za’atar!
- Evenly coat the carrots and green beans in your seasoning mix
- Spread the carrots evenly apart on one baking sheet or coated baking pan. Repeat this step with green beans.
- Roast your carrots and green beans in the oven until they’re nicely browned and crispy. Approx. 15-20 mins for the green beans and 20-25 mins for the carrots.
- Remove from the oven and serve them in separate bowls or combine together in one big bowl.
- Optional step, garnish with chopped parsley.
Holiday Cooking at Our Senior Living Community in Whippany NJ
The only thing the JCHC loves more than celebrating the holidays with our senior residents, is cooking for them. If it’s easier to visit mom and dad at our community for Thanksgiving dinner, please don’t hesitate to join us! Reach out to one of our team members today and we’ll make sure you and your family can eat delicious Thanksgiving dishes with your loved one in our spacious community dining room. Our chefs at Lester Senior Living will be sure to accommodate any allergies and special dietary preferences, like low-fat, low-salt or low-carb options.
To learn more about the holiday food we serve our senior residents in Morris County, please give us a call or visit our website at: https://jchcorp.org