Latkes are just like fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, there is no wrong time to have one. They are not reserved only for Hanukkah; they can be enjoyed all year long – even in the height of summer. At least that’s the philosophy we’re sticking to at Lester Senior Living. If you’re in the mood for some summer latkes, our chefs in assisted living have an easy recipe for you to try. Don’t forget to share with someone you love “a latke.”
- 1 bag of shredded hash browns
- 1 zucchini
- 2 ears of corn with the kernels removed
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 tablespoons of whole wheat flour
- 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream based on preference
- 1-2 teaspoons of your favorite herbs (recommended: basil, parsley, dill or mint)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- Grab a large bowl, cutting board and grater and begin with your zucchini. Coarsely grate the zucchini, place the shreds into the bowl with half of your salt and allow to sit for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes is up, place the shredded zucchini on paper towels and wring out the excess water.
- Next, place the shredded hash browns, zucchini, corn, eggs, flour and the remaining salt into the large bowl and mix until combined.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over a medium flame.
- Take your mixture out of the bowl and form patties that are about the size of a ? measuring cup.
- Saute patties in the pan until golden brown on both sides. This usually takes about 2-3 minutes on each side, but let your eyes be the judge.
- Place the patties on a wire baking rack and add a pinch of salt to each.
- Now for the best part: the herb cream for dipping! Combine sour cream (or Greek yogurt), your chopped herb of choice, lemon zest and salt to taste into a small bowl and mix well.
- Serve the patties and herb cream together and enjoy with your company!
Dining Deliciously at Lester Senior Living, NJ
The culinary trained chefs at Lester Senior Living look forward to trying out new recipes for our assisted living and independent living residents. They cook with only the freshest ingredients and provide many diverse options to satisfy different tastes, dietary preferences and kosher needs. For more information about dining options for seniors in Morris County, NJ, please contact us today: (973) 929-2725.
To learn more about our senior dining schedule and what life is really like at Lester Senior Living, please visit our website at: https://jchcorp.org/