Staying healthy isn’t just about living longer, it’s about living better too. Keeping active as we age is directly linked to maintaining our quality of life, as well as fighting mental and physical conditions that could limit our abilities. Unfortunately, it can become more and more of a challenge as we get older with family responsibilities, mobility issues, stress and lack of motivation. With that being said, our senior living teams at the JCHC communities have put together a list of tips to keep seniors healthy and motivated.
- Find an activity your loved one enjoys: Dad is far more likely to stick with an activity he enjoys, so take some time to explore options with him. Preferably, an option that you both could do together. For example, if he loved hiking back in the day, then regular nature walks with him or other senior friends is a perfect choice. Not to mention, staying active with a family member or friend is a great way to stay accountable and motivated.
- Don’t forget about mental exercise: Staying active isn’t just about physical health – mental fitness is just as important. Have your loved one learn to play bridge, compete in crossword competitions and indulge in Sudoku, as they are ideal games to challenge and strengthen the brain.
- Manage your stress levels: Stress is well known for negatively affecting our mental and physical well-being, so finding an effective outlet to release stress is a good way to keep your loved one’s health on track. Many seniors come to find that fast-paced physical exercise helpful, while others prefer something more relaxing and low-impact like meditation or yoga. Occasional social engagements with the people they love and enjoy is also a great way for your senior parent to release stress as well.
- Good nutrition: It’s never too late to develop good eating habits! Proper nutrition can help fight a wide range of issues seniors often struggle with, from helping to control weight, osteoporosis, blood pressure and diabetes, to reducing your risk of heart disease.
- Annual checkups: Regular checkups are key to senior health. Make sure you stay in control of Mom’s health issues and deal with any emerging conditions effectively. Your top priorities should include her primary care physician, eye doctor and dentist, as well as any specialists she requires.
- Take preventative measures: Falls are among the most common reasons for seniors needing medical treatment. As we get older, it often becomes harder to heal and bounce back from injuries. Although staying physically healthy is an ideal way to combat this, removing hazards in your loved one’s home is vital to preventing injuries in the first place. Rugs that can be tripped over, stairs, poor lighting and bathrooms without grab bars are good examples of hazards which should be dealt with head-on.
Lester Assisted Living, for a Healthy Life
Lester is an assisted living community dedicated to helping older adults live full, happy and healthy lives. With an active community spirit, spacious apartments, great exercise programs and support services designed to maximize independence, we’re a welcoming space for seniors to really feel at home.
For more information about our assisted living and senior exercise programs in NJ, please contact us today to schedule a tour or visit our website at: https://jchcorp.org