Who says pasta salad is just for summer? Pasta salad can be a great and easy pick-me-up meal to get us through the cold winter. It can remind us all that warmer times are just around the corner! Not to mention, it’s an easy last-minute meal to prepare if you have company coming to visit. With that in mind, the chefs at our senior communities put together a simple, healthy and delicious recipe for pasta salad. One last thing, always serve it “al dente” – trust us on this one.
Time: Approx. 15-20 minutes
Pasta Salad Ingredients:
- 1 lb. of your favorite pasta – we recommend penne or orecchiette
- 1/4 lb. baby arugula
- 1/4 lb. sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 lb. crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 pint of red wine vinaigrette (see below for more details)
Red Wine Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
Red Wine Vinaigrette Directions:
- Grab a mixing bowl and whisk together the honey, Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar.
- While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Taste test and season as needed with salt. You can also add more olive oil to dilute or more vinegar for tartness.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Pasta Salad Directions:
- Boil a pot of water on the stove. Pro tip: add a little Kosher salt to the water. Once the water is boiling, throw the pasta in and cook until “al dente.” If you’re unsure of how long this step may take, please refer to the pasta box instructions. You could also taste test along the way to ensure the pasta is cooked to the desired texture.
- Then, pour the pasta into a strainer and cool it under cold running water.
- Once the pasta cools, drain completely and pour it into a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add the baby arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and crumbled gorgonzola cheese.
- Grab your homemade red wine vinaigrette from the refrigerator and pour over the pasta salad until the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Season with salt and use tongs to mix the ingredients and vinaigrette altogether.
- Serve immediately to your guests or store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Come to Lester Senior Living for Lunch
If you’d like to try more recipes like this one, come visit our chef for lunch at Lester Senior Living. They love to think of new, innovative recipes to serve our senior residents that prioritize nutrition, dietary needs and even Kosher preferences. Some of our favorite meals include herb-roasted chicken, beef stroganoff, and hearty lentil soup – just to name a few.
To learn more about senior living in Morris County, NJ, please contact us today: (973) 929-2725. You could also visit our website for more information on the senior living communities a part of the Jewish Community Housing Corporation (JCHC): https://jchcorp.org/