Father’s Day is just around the corner! Meaning it’s time to celebrate the special father figures in our lives, including grandfathers. Taking the time to acknowledge and honor grandpa for Father’s Day will go a long way. If there’s one thing that all grandfathers have in common, it’s their love for their kids and grandkids. Grandfathers truly value that quality time with their family, so give them a day they’ll treasure for years to come!
If you’re not sure where to start, our assisted living team at Lester Senior Living in Morris County has put together some great ways to celebrate grandpa on Father’s Day.
- Create a personalized calendar for him. Many websites like Shutterfly, Vistaprint and Zazzle can customize calendars to include pictures of your family. You could also mark special dates within the calendar, like each grandkid’s birthday. Grandpa will not only appreciate the thoughtfulness of the gift, but will also appreciate the subtle reminders of special events coming up! Not to mention, this gift is also extremely helpful if grandpa has memory issues.
- Take grandpa out for the day. There’s nothing like a change of scenery. Whether grandpa lives at home or in an assisted living community, he deserves a nice change of pace outside of his comfort zone. Take this day out as an opportunity to indulge in the activities he loves to do. For example, visit the local book store together if he’s an avid reader or visit the local bakery if he has a sweet tooth.
- Help him with chores, or let him help you. A helping hand can go a long way, especially for Grandpa who may not have the ox-like strength he once had. It will mean the world to him to take care of some of his daily chores like taking out the trash or watering the plants. If grandpa doesn’t have many chores to help with, have him help you with something. Grandfathers hold a wealth of knowledge and will really value spreading some of that knowledge onto their grandkids.
- Plan a game day/night. Who doesn’t love to play games? They are a fun way to bring your family together for some quality time. Not to mention, most assisted living communities have communal areas you can use for this. Let grandpa teach you how to play mahjong or gin rummy, he will get a kick out of it!
- Bring him his favorite food or dessert. Health, mobility and memory issues could prevent some grandfathers from leaving their assisted living community. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t bring the celebration to him! Call grandpa and ask what special treat he would like for Father’s Day, and order enough for the whole family to enjoy at his assisted living community.
Celebrate Fathers Day at Lester Senior Living, NJ
As mentioned above, we understand that some health, memory and mobility concerns may prevent some assisted living residents from leaving the community to celebrate Father’s Day. So, we encourage you to celebrate with grandpa at Lester Senior Living instead! We have fun events planned for our residents on Father’s Day: “Movies and Mimosas” at 1:30pm, “Afternoon Social and Snacks” at 2:30pm and “Fun and Games on the Patio” at 3:30pm, to name a few!
For more information on how Lester Senior Living will be celebrating Father’s Day, please contact us today or visit our website at: https://jchcorp.org/