With summer coming to a close, it’s time to take advantage of the fruits and vegetables that are harvested this season. One of our favorites being the tomato, it seems more than fitting to share our signature Tomato Salad recipe with all of you. This recipe is not only satisfying to eat, but satisfying to make with ingredients grown from your own garden! Here at Lester Senior Living, we have a thriving community garden that is maintained by our residents with green thumbs – and they love when the fruits of their labor can be enjoyed by all!
Ingredients for Tomato Salad:
- 1 small red or white onion
- 3-4 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- (Optional ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar)
Directions for Tomato Salad:
- Start by peeling and then chopping your onions into thin “half-moon” slices. Place them in a large salad bowl when you’re done.
- Next, wash your cucumber and tomatoes with a little dish soap and warm water.
- Skin your cucumbers and chop them into ½ inch chunks before adding them to the bowl.
- Core the tomatoes and slice into 1/2-inch-thick “half-moons.” If possible, try to cut the tomatoes over your salad bowl so you don’t miss out on any juice!
- Lightly rinse the basil and then coarsely chop before adding to the bowl.
- Add the salt, oregano and extra-virgin olive oil over top and toss to combine all the ingredients. Let the salad stand for at least 10 or up to 30 minutes before serving.
- Give it a taste and season further with more salt, oregano, oil or even a little vinegar if necessary.
- Serve the salad with toasted bread to soak up the delicious tomato “sauce.” Trust us on this – you won’t regret it.
Gardening Club and More for Seniors in Morris County
At our active senior community in Morris County, we encourage our seniors to establish their roots (pun intended) by exploring all the activities we have to offer on site. Whether it’s gardening, chair yoga, mahjong, or something else, our goal is for every senior in our care to feel completely supported and confident enough to lead their own lives at Lester.
For more information about fun senior activities in Morris County, New Jersey, please give us a call today or visit our website at: https://jchcorp.org/