No Rosh Hashanah is complete without a hearty meal that’s shared with the ones you love. This savory fish dish is perfect to eat before digging into sweet honey cake symbolic to Rosh Hashanah. If you’re looking for a new recipe for the Jewish New Year that is less traditional, this baked Atlantic cod recipe with barley risotto, escarole and beans is a perfect weeknight meal to serve your family and close friends
- 4-6 ounces Cod filet seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and freshly chopped dill
- 1 cup barley
- ½ cup diced fine onion
- ½ cup diced fine celery
- ½ cup diced fine carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped fine garlic
- 1 shallot chopped fine
- ½ escarole – head washed well, roughly chopped
- 1 cup white beans (cooked)
- 2 quarts chicken stock as needed
- 1tsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- Fresh chives sliced thinly
- Chive oil (optional)
- Clean fish or buy the fish pre filleted.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onions, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme, and shallots in a little olive oil for three minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add barley and continue sautéing for two more minutes.
- Add chicken stock two cups at time and stir continually until stock is absorbed by the barley.
- Continue this process as needed until barley is cooked tender.
- Add escarole and carefully fold in cooked white beans.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.
- Season fish with salt, pepper and dill and bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Place 3-4 ounces of risotto on a serving plate, place cod on top and garnish with fresh sliced chives and a little chive oil.
- Enjoy the meal with the ones you love!
Culinary Excellence at Lester Senior Living NJ
At the Lester Senior Living Community, we understand how good nutrition plays a big part in maintaining active lifestyles for our senior residents. We equally understand that the way our food tastes is just as important! That’s why our culinary trained chefs in Morris County take extra pride in curating delicious food that also caters to every dietary preference, from kosher, vegetarian, low-carb options and more.
For more information about senior meal plans in Morris County, NJ, please contact Lester Senior Living today: (973) 929-2725. You could also visit our website to learn more about what it’s like to live in a senior community apart of the Jewish Community Housing Corporation: https://jchcorp.org/