Moving into an assisted living community is a big commitment. It’s important that your loved one feels confident, comfortable and happy with the community. Not only that, you and your extended family also need to consider the quality of mom or dad’s care and the proximity of the community to your current residences. After all, the move to an assisted living facility affects the entire family. That’s why it’s essential to ask all the right questions before coming to a final agreement on your loved one’s care.
Here are some helpful questions to ask when researching different options to help narrow down your search to the right community:
- Where is the assisted living community located? Is it close to friends and family? Does your loved one know the area and enjoy it? These questions will help narrow down your geographic search. If your loved one likes the area and has good social and family connections in the neighborhood, then the move is likely to be an easier and more positive adjustment for everyone involved.
- Can we take a tour? An onsite visit is a great way to meet the staff, find out what they offer and get a general feel for the community. Ask about their services, what the culture is like and what a typical day includes. If your loved one is in fairly good health, don’t skip the more advanced care facilities. In planning for the future, it’s best to ask about dementia and Alzheimer’s care, so that you have well-rounded knowledge of all the services they offer.
- How much does it cost? The cost of assisted living is one of the biggest variables when looking for the right community, especially as healthcare costs have increased in recent years. Care costs are calculated after a thorough assessment and based on individual needs and requirements. At JCHC, our advisors would be happy to walk you through all of your loved one’s financial options when looking at one of our communities.
- What are priorities for my loved one? This is a question (among many) that seniors and caregivers need to ask themselves to help narrow down their search. Does your loved one have Alzheimer’s or dementia? Is he or she looking for a lively, involved community? Do you want a facility that only provides independent living services or one that can meet your loved one’s needs whatever the future holds? Figuring out you and your loved one’s top priorities is essential to finding the right community that offers the right services and amenities.
- What is the reputation of the facility? In order to make an informed decision it’s important to conduct the necessary research. Be sure to check reviews, talk to locals in the area, and of course, take a tour yourself. As we mentioned above, come to your tour prepared with a list of questions and make sure you’re satisfied with the responses you receive. A great question to ask is: What are the standard credentials of the caregivers within the community? It’s important to know that the people caring for your senior parent are professionally qualified to do so.
Quality care at Lester Senior Living NJ
At Lester Senior Living, a JCHC community, we prioritize the quality of life, independence and dignity for all our residents. With services designed to meet your loved one’s needs, even as they change, we offer seniors a chance to build a life within our active and welcoming community. Our experienced caregivers are on-site 24/7 and can assist seniors with anything from light day-to-day support to advanced Alzheimer’s and dementia care.
For more information on our assisted living community and senior care services, contact us today or visit our website at: https://jchcorp.org